find out counter

Friday, April 29, 2011

Interview with Ben Cobb on 'Hobo-Chic'

Photo By Jonathan Thorpe 
April 29, 2011
By Chelsea Gaetani

HERNDON, Va -
  • What are you trying to accomplish with your look?  “Hobo-chic is looking almost dirty and unpresentable but in the cleanest way possible. You need one really good piece of clothing, like the quality of your shirt or a nice pair of vintage boots."
  • When did you come up with the hobo-chic look? "Summer of 2010, it was because I was tired of constantly trying to pull off that clean cut and presentable look. It just didn't work for me but I still wanted to be fashionable in a way so I decided to change over to grunge and then changed it over to hobo-chic."
  • Would you classify yourself as 'hipster'? "no"
  • What is the difference between hobo-chic and hipster? "I feel like hipsters try to find things that nobody else has and try to look different where people have to approach them and ask them questions, hobo-chic is wearing brands that are more mainstream and wearing them in a way where they turn heads.”
  • When coming to the music industry, would you say your look is pretty common? "I would say it's wrongly identified. When looking at someone dressed grudge you have to almost pick apart or dissect what they are wearing to get it. Hobo-chic is taking higher end things and making them almost appear that way but in a fashionable manner. It's not like I smell..."
  • How do you think it projects the image of your band? Or does it at all? "Yes, because as a band we take our music seriously but we don’t take ourselves seriously. I mean, somedays ill try a lot harder in making the look all come together but other days I won't. It's not really hard anymore, It's just who I am. What makes it really great and what I like about it is there are enough different pieces of clothing to make me acceptable in any social situation while still portraying hobo-chic." 
  • What is your favorite accessory? "Vintage boots, to me vintage means like someone else wore them before, hand-me-downish." 
  • What is your favorite designer brand for shoes? Clothing? "Mark Nason for shoes and  mainstream brands from H&M and Express."


TIW Fashion Tip:
What makes something vintage? Authentically, the wear and tear over a long period of time. Fashion designers learned how to speed up that process by using distressed leatherwear and fabrics to make something appear to look vintage.


[[Band Blurb]]
Check out Ben's band Fourth Quarter Comback and like their Facebook page ALSO grab their debut EP on Itunes called "Finders Keepers"
http://www.facebook.com/FourthQuarterComeback

No comments:

Post a Comment